CHORLEY FC set up a FA Cup third round qualifying tie with Spennymoor Town after a 2-0 win against Dunston UTS on Saturday.

The draw was made at midday on Monday and Matt Jansen's side will take on the Evo-Stik Northern Premier Division side on October 1.

The Magpies delighted their large contingent of supporters in the 333 crowd on Saturday as they cruised to the next round in what manager Matt Jansen hailed as a ‘very professional performance’.

Their Gateshead-based Northern League hosts had won through three rounds – each time after a replay – to earn this plum home tie but though they gave it their best shot Dunston were not able to unsettle a typically well-organised Chorley team.

It was an uphill struggle for the Tynesiders from the moment Andy Teague put Chorley ahead after just three minutes and the contest was effectively settled when Scott Leather added a second goal just before half-time.

On a lovely surface, the Magpies produced some classy football at times, particularly in the second half when with a little luck they might have at least doubled the winning margin.

As Chorley began on the front foot, the opening goal arrived on three minutes, Teague planting Dale Whitham’s corner past keeper Stefan Holden.

Dunston worked hard to recover and Sam Ashton was called upon to save a bullet header from short range. But the visitors remained in control and as the interval approached the home defence did well to block a firm Josh O’Keefe header in the jaws of goal.

But seconds before the break Leather, with a neat far-post header from another well-flighted Whitham corner, gave Chorley a potentially match-winning 2-0 half-time lead.

The Magpies sought to underline their superiority on the resumption.

Holden saved well from Sefton Gonzales and then turned over a terrific drive from O’Keefe before a Roscoe header struck a post.

The home side rarely looked like halving the deficit and Chorley created three chances to add to the score. Gonzales cleverly released Jason Walker on goal but he shot narrowly wide, then in the last 10 minutes a flowing move ought to have been finished by substitute Jake Cottrell but his shot lacked sufficient power.

Moments later Leather saw his header from a superb Paul Jarvis delivery hit the post.

Then Walker fired the final shot which flashed just over the Dunston bar. It had all been pretty straightforward for confident Chorley.

The Magpies have three more away trips on the bounce in league and cup competitions.

First up, they travel to AFC Telford United in the Vanarama Conference North on Saturday followed by visiting Prestwich Heys in the Lancashire FA Trophy in mid-week (Wednesday).

Then on Saturday October 1, the FA Cup Qualifying Round Three takes over as Jansen's side take on Spennymoor Town where the winners can expect to pocket £7,500 and progress to the fourth round qualifying, where Vanarama Conference Premier sides join in.