After a very strong performance against Lyme the week before Chorley looked to right the demons from the previous season by not getting knocked out of the first round of the cup.

Chorley tried to keep focused on the game although the late arrival and marking of the pitch five minutes before kick off did distract the visiting team.

Aspull kicked off with a high bomb to the Chorley forwards with Michael 'Beast' Harwood driving hard into the on rushing defenders. From this point forward this is how Chorley wanted to play.

Both sides sported big strong packs, providing excellent viewing for the large travelling away support and home crowds.

The Chorley forwards took charge of the scrums driving the Aspull forwards back and providing an excellent platform for Chris Highton and Gavin Slater to work their magic, and it was Chris Highton who scored the first try of the game, using his pace and quick feet from the back of strong forward running, the Aspull forwards could not stop the Chorley scrum half burrowing through and under tackles to score.

In such a forward dominated game the Chorley back line had to be patient in attack and strong in defence with no missed tackles.

When they got the chance to run with ball qucik hands and excellent dummy runs unlocked the Aspull defence and Mike Richardson sent Tom Welch racing 50 yards outpacing the full back, winger and centre before trying to off load to Martin Whitfield in great support but unfortunatly the covering Aspull defenders did enough to put off Welch's pass.

With the half time whistle approaching Chorley let their foot off the gas and with Aspull's number 8 in good form breaking tackles only good scrambling defence held the Aspull forwards up.

After half time Chorley had the wind to their backs and looked to press forward but Aspull once again drove hard to the heart of the Chorley defence but where met by in-form flankers Marcus Quick and Mark Brook to chop down the big forwards.

Chorley picked their feet up once again and strong runs from Andy Johns allowed Chris Highton to cross once again for his second try of the game.

With the forwards dominating the scrum once again Andy Kavangh broke through the Aspull defence to race clear to the line.

Chorley finsiehd the game with 13 men after two players were sin binned and one from Aspull and with Hooker Nick Sergeant leaving the field with a displaced knee cap who looks to be out for some time.

Captain and man of the match Chris Highton said: "We worked really hard today and our tackling was very impressive, I am pleased to be through to the next round and how we kept trying to the very end and even when we had our backs against the wall we rallied together and pulled each other through."

Chorley start the league on Saturday with the first team at home and the second team away.

All players new and experienced, young and old are encouraged to come down.