CHORLEY Ladies continued their push for the Premier League Northern Division One with a superb 1-0 victory on the road at Leeds Ladies.

The Chorley side had been without football after a couple of weather interrupted weeks and were delighted to get going again as they woke up to a bright Sunday morning with perfect playing conditions.

Chorley faced a short journey over the moors into Yorkshire where they had previously had good results.

The game started equally with both sides creating opportunities.

Scarlett Smith scored what Chorley thought was the opener, but sadly the linesman dubiously ruled it out for offside.

More chances came and went and the first half ended on a stalemate with Leeds dominating the later stages.

Coach Cameron Foster called for patient, confident and managed play from the second half and he certainly got what he wanted.

Chorley dominated the whole of the second half, hitting the woodwork twice and forcing the Leeds goal keeper to make two fantastic saves. Patience definitely was the key and with 10 minutes to play Chorley finally found the breakthrough they deserved.

A driving run from the right by Kay Unsworth forced the Leeds defence onto their heels.

Unsworth found Scarlett Smith who flicked the ball into the path of Rachel Wood who fired passed the goalkeeper.

Leeds pressurised Chorley but the defence remained solid and the pressure was extinguished by Janet Mitchell.

It proved to be a well deserved three points was taken back to the red rose county.

Chorley travel to Merseyside to face Mossley Hill next weekend.

Coach Foster, said: “I requested three things and every single player gave me what I wanted and they all deserved the three points.”

Geoff Dawson, club secretary added: “It was going to be a crucial game which we needed to take the three points. I’m very happy with the result today and the performance was excellent.”

Goalscorer Rach Wood added: “everyone was tiring but I pushed myself to get into the box.

“Kay’s pass was perfect and allowed me to strike low getting the three points.”

Elsewhere, in the West Lancashire Football League, Coppull United suffered a 4-1 defeat at home against Thornton Cleveleys.

Lewis Pilgrim was on target for the Springfield Road side.

In Division Two, Croston Sports picked up three points against Walney Island thanks to goals by Nathan Nickeas and Daniel Cooper

Meanwhile, Euxton Villa went out of the Richardson Cup in a 4-2 loss to Blackpool Wren Rovers.

Greg Johnstone and Patrick Bibby got on the scoresheet for Villa.