THE detective leading the investigation into the murder of Lindsay Birbeck said the teenager convicted of her killing weaved a tale of lies and tried to pass the blame onto an ‘unknown man’. 

A 17-year-old boy has this afternoon been found guilty of murdering Accrington mother of two Lindsay Birbeck.

Lindsay, 47, left her house on Burnley Road in Accrington on 12 August 2019 to go for a walk but never returned home.

Detective Superintendent Andy Cribbin of Lancashire Police, said: “This is a despicable crime in which a complete stranger, who for reasons known only to himself, attacked and killed Lindsay. He then set about covering his tracks and attempting to conceal Lindsay’s body.

“Our subsequent CCTV enquiries show that the defendant made several trips between an area close to the Coppice and the cemetery in the subsequent days and it is our belief that he even did a dry run to see if he could successfully move Lindsay’s body without being caught.

“Throughout the investigation and trial, the defendant weaved a tale of lies and tried to pass the blame onto an ‘unknown man’, who in reality did not exist. He has shown no remorse whatsoever for his offending and the devastation caused to the lives of Lindsay’s family and friends.

“I have nothing but admiration for Lindsay’s children Sarah and Steven, her family, colleagues and many friends. They have suffered a huge loss and have conducted themselves with dignity from the outset and throughout the trial. I hope this outcome helps them in some way with their grieving.

“I would like to thank the jury for their attention and careful consideration of the facts in delivering this verdict in what was a distressing case for them to hear.

“When Lindsay went missing the outpouring of support from the community of Accrington and elsewhere was gratefully received. For days on end people assisted with searching for Lindsay, assisting the police officers, firefighters and Mounted Rescue colleagues, who were all devastated when our worst fears were realised. Their dedication shows how loved and respected Lindsay was by so many people and it makes it so much harder to understand how her life came to end so tragically. I would like to thank everyone on behalf of Lindsay’s family and the Police for all of their help and well wishes.

Chorley Citizen:

“Finally, I would like to thank all of the police staff and officers, the Crown Prosecution Service and prosecution counsel for their tireless work in piecing together what happened to Lindsay and bringing the defendant to justice.”

Lindsay’s disappearance sparked a major investigation to find her, with multiple agencies and members of the public searching tirelessly for 12 days.

The search was concluded on 24 August 2019 when Lindsay’s body was sadly found concealed in Accrington Cemetery, leading police to declare a murder investigation and a subsequent manhunt for her killer.

A post mortem examination revealed Lindsay died as a result of severe neck injuries and we believe she was killed within minutes of leaving her home. The scene of Lindsay’s murder has never been identified, but police believe it happened on an area known locally as the Coppice.

CCTV suggests Lindsay’s body was moved to the cemetery in a blue wheelie bin on Saturday 17th August.

Following a CCTV appeal for information, a 16-year-old male was identified, arrested and charged in connection with Lindsay’s murder.

Lindsay’s shoes were found during a search of a skip from the cemetery. The soles had been cut off and the defendant’s DNA was found on them.

Chorley Citizen:

The defendant, now 17, who cannot be named under the law, was convicted of murder today following a trial at Preston Crown Court.

He had always denied murder, but admitted to moving Lindsay’s body.

The defendant will be sentenced at Preston Crown Court on Friday (August 14).