Fire chiefs are set to review how they deal with vulnerable householders after an accidental blaze at a Chorley home which could have proved fatal.

Officers said the pensioner was only saved by fire-retardant bedding after a lit cigarette was dropped in bed.

Only days before community fire safety officers had visited the property and fitted smoke detectors and installed the bedding for the man, who has not been named.

A Lancashire Fire and Rescue service spokesman said: “The fire retardant bedding proved crucial in preventing the fire spreading further and ensured that the gentleman’s injuries were relatively minor.

“If this bedding had not been issued his injuries could have been substantially worse or even fatal.”

The safety officers had expressed concerns regarding the ability of the man, who had been allocated a health support worker, to understand the fire risks outlined to him.

Previously several incidents had occurred where he had allowed cooking to boil dry or burn, or been caught smoking in bed.

Fire officials are now conducting a review across the southern divisional area, in partnership with Lancashire Care Foundation NHS Trust to address the issues raised by the incident.

This review will cover several station areas including Chorley, Leyland, Tarleton, Skelmersdale and Ormskirk.