A FORMER police community support officer has been caught trying to communicate with an under-age girl over the internet for a second time.

When Steven Evans was first caught out in 2008, and prosecuted for encouraging an 11-year-old girl to perform sex acts on a web-cam, the conviction cost him his job.

But now it has emerged Evans, who went on to work as a PCSO in Chorley and Leyland, has been arrested for similar behaviour.

And the 32-year-old, now living in Burnley, is in further trouble after police discovered he had been living with a mum and her four children for four-and-a-half months, which he was barred from doing as a registered sex offender.

Evans, formerly of Abbey Village, but now of Lyndhurst Road, Burnley, was appearing for sentence after pleading guilty to offences of engaging a child in sexual activity online and breaching a sexual harm prevention order.

Prosecutor Emma Kehoe said a a number of electronic devices had also been seized, at the time of Evans' arrest.

But due to problems with Lancashire Police's computer systems yesterday, she was unable to confirm whether any indecent material had been found on the equipment, which might affect the outcome of the

But Judge Andrew Jefferies QC said: "The most serious matter is that he was under the same roof as four children for six months."

Defence counsel Mark Stuart said it would be his case that the defendant was a "fantasist" and there had never been a physical dimension to his offending.

Judge Jefferies remanded Evans in custody for sentence until April 30, so enquiries could be made with social services regarding Evans' time at the mother-of-four's home.

The results of checks on his electronic devices must also be obtained before the next hearing, he ruled.

Evans had resigned from Lancashire Police before he was jailed for two years, for his 2008 offences.

He had been asking personal questions of a sexual nature, of the 11-year-old, for six months, before she told her mother what had been going on.

Hundreds of indecent images of young girls were found on a computer at his former home in Abbey Village. He had moved to Weavers Brow, Chorley, before he was sentenced.