THE family of a man who died following a road traffic collision on the A590 have paid tribute to his life.

Michael Gilgun, aged 57, from Chorley, died following a crash at Newby Bridge on January 18.

Mr Gilgun, known to many as Mick, was husband to Diane and father to Carl and Maria and was also grandad to Taylor and Dylan.

Daughter Maria Ainsworth said: “Mick was a gas engineer from leaving school, he took great pride in his work and the company he worked for.

“He was born in Chorley which is where he lived all of his life.

“Mick was a huge Manchester City fan and you very rarely saw him in any clothes that didn’t have the club’s emblem on.

“He had City boxers and socks and used to wear them all the time.

“He even taught the family parrot to sing Blue Moon - he was that obsessed.”

Maria added her dad loved to travel.

She said: “I remember he gatecrashed my honeymoon.

“He booked for us to go to Cuba and they came too.

“But it was not until three days into the holiday that we found out that they were in the honeymoon suite.

“He did not tell us until he had eaten all the chocolates and drunk the champagne.

“But that was just my dad and he loved going on holidays.”

The former Holy Cross School pupil was also popular person in the community.

She said: “Mick was always the joker at parties and family gatherings.

“He always had a smile on his face especially when laughing at his own jokes which he was well known for. But he laughed when no-one was not.”

“He was always first up on karaoke with a Cliff Richard classic.

“He will be deeply missed by all those that knew him, all the family, friends and work colleagues.

“From the minute we received this devastating news about my dad’s accident we can honestly not thank everyone enough for doing everything they did to help him.

“From the police to the air ambulance, the paramedics and also to people that were there when the accident took place.

“All of us as a family will never forget it, thank you.”

The A590 was closed between the Greenodd and Meathop roundabouts as emergency services work continued.