1:45pm Wednesday 25th April 2012
© Press Association 2014
Tim Henman believes Wimbledon have answered the demands of players with the 10% increase in prize money for this year's tournament.
The four-time semi-finalist, who is on the board at the All England Club, travelled with chairman Phillip Brook to Indian Wells last month to discuss the issue with Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray after they asked for a meeting.
Henman told Press Association Sport: "The percentage increase in prize money over the last five years has been very substantial considering there is a recession at the moment. Wimbledon is very generous compared to a lot of other tournaments and I think this is a good deal all round."
Many players feel they are not adequately rewarded for their part in the success of grand slams in particular, with prize money accounting for less than 20% of revenue.
"Not so long ago I was a player and I'm sure I was asking for the same thing," Henman added.
There had even been talk of a strike, with the prize money issue one of a number vexing the top players, who feel they do not have enough power within their sport.
Henman is glad that now appears to be off the agenda, and he said: "It's not good for the players, it's not good for anyone, but I don't think that was ever really a possibility."
The total prize money for the 2012 Championships will be £16.1million, up from £14.6million 12 months ago and more than 42% higher than in 2007.
The intervention of Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Murray was not principally to benefit themselves, though, with the biggest increase coming for the early losers.
Players who go out in the first round of the men's or ladies' singles will earn £14,500, up 26% from last year, while the winners will receive £1.15million, an increase of 4.5%.
© Copyright 2001-2015 Newsquest Media Group