RAMSBOTTOM UNITED moved up to fifth place in Evo-Stik First Division North with an impressive 5-0 triumph at Lancaster City on Saturday.

The Rams, managed by Bernard Morley and Anthony Johnson, are in their first season in the division following promotion from the North West Counties League.

They have lost just two league games this season made it 19 points from their last seven matches with a convincing triumph at the Giant Axe, to leapfrog Farsley in the table.

Lee Gaskell’s penalty put Ramsbottom ahead in the 21st minute before the same man made it 2-0 seven minutes later.

The Rams then incredibly led 4-0 at half time as Jon Robinson struck in both the 38th and 43rd minutes.

Mark Ayres completed the rout with a minute of the match remaining.

Ramsbottom still sit two places behind CLITHEROE, though, after the Blues bounced back from a surprising 7-1 home defeat to Skelmersdale United with a 1-0 win at Ossett Albion.

Clitheroe were stunned by second-placed Skelmersdale in midweek but were able to welcome former Burnley youngster Olile Devenney back to their starting line-up.

They were on top for most of the first half at Dimple Wells on Saturday and full back Chris Smalley exchanged passes with Daley Woods before firing over from the edge of the penalty area.

Danny Mahoney’s goal was then ruled out for offside after he had been played in by Mark Buchan.

But nine minutes later Mahoney did net his first goal for Clitheroe.

The former Bamber Bridge forward turned his marker before crashing home a right-footed shot beyond keeper Jody Barford.

Devenney came close to putting Paul Moore’s side 2-0 up before half time as the skipper saw a 25-yard drive strike the angle between post and bar.

Ossett did have a chance to level when Kurtis Noble miscued and they were able to restrict Clitheroe’s attacks in the second period.

But the Blues were similarly resilient in defence, although Marc Thompson fired a low shot wide of the post before Adam Hayton also headed narrowly off target for the hosts.

Ossett’s best chance to level came with six minutes left as Simon Poole blazed over the bar.

CHORLEY sit fifth in the Evo-Stik Premier Division after a 1-1 draw at home to Worksop Town on Saturday.

Seventh-placed Worksop came into the game on the back of four straight wins, including an 8-1 hammering of Blyth Spartans in midweek, but it was Chorley who took the lead in the 17th minute.

The Magpies had lost at Stafford Rangers in midweek but Kirk Millar’s flick-on found Andy Russell and the centre back turned a defender before crossing for Andy Teague to tap in from close range.

Worksop levelled only three minutes later, though, when Craig King brilliantly found the top corner to give keeper Jack Cudworth no chance.

Both sides had chances to win the match but the game finished all square.