Chorley CitizenDuo tasked with turning around East Lancs health services are pleased with improvements (From Chorley Citizen)

When news happens, text CIT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.

Duo tasked with turning around East Lancs health services are pleased with improvements

Chorley Citizen: Duo tasked with turning around East Lancs health services are pleased with improvements Duo tasked with turning around East Lancs health services are pleased with improvements

THE man tasked with leading the Royal Blackburn and Burnley General hospitals out of special measures said ‘a cloud has begun to lift from the organisation’.

Jim Birrell, a respected NHS troubleshooter, said he found significant problems when he arrived in East Lancashire, but insisted he would be ‘genuinely’ happy to be treated as a patient.

Mr Birrell was handed the role of interim chief executive in January, and has since been bolstered by the appointment of the experienced Professor Eileen Fairhust as the trust’s permanent chairman.

The pair have already overseen several improvements, particularly around staffing levels, emergency care and the complaints process, and are now hopeful these ‘green shoots’ will be recognised by hospital inspectors later this month.

The trust has been in special measures since last July, when NHS chief Sir Bruce Keogh made wide-ranging criticisms of the way it was run, and the visit from the Care Quality Commission on April 29 will be key to determining whether the necessary changes are being made.

Mr Birrell, who has held various interim CEO positions at troubled health trusts, said: “We are seeing green shoots and I’m pretty confident, but will the CQC recognise those or think we’ve still got a long way to go?

“If they say we’re inadequate then we’ve got serious concerns because we don’t think what we’re doing is inadequate.”

He said the trust’s main problems were around governance and risk management issues and added: “We wouldn’t have wanted to change the quality of care and clinical standards. I would be happy to be treated here and I say that genuinely.

“What we weren’t doing was the stuff around it, like not learning from complaints or making sure we took a compassionate approach."

Prof Fairhurst, who has been acknowledged as an ‘outstanding leader’ and was awarded an MBE for services to the NHS in 2008, said: “It’s a very challenging situation but something we really have an opportunity to improve.

“It’s been challenging because there’s been such a big agenda. But the staff have been extremely helpful and willing to take on new ideas and commissioners have also been helpful and co-operative. The media are also giving us a better hearing and it seems the cloud is starting to lift from the organisation.”

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:41pm Mon 7 Apr 14

kapalski says...

For the money this man is getting paid he better had be turning the place around!!

There is a CQC Listening event 29 April, 6.30pm @ King Georges Hall, lets just wait an see what they have to say!

I am pleased there are improvments being made, but I do not think they are any where near the point of no longer being in Special Measures!!
For the money this man is getting paid he better had be turning the place around!! There is a CQC Listening event 29 April, 6.30pm @ King Georges Hall, lets just wait an see what they have to say! I am pleased there are improvments being made, but I do not think they are any where near the point of no longer being in Special Measures!! kapalski
  • Score: 9

4:14pm Mon 7 Apr 14

kateash says...

I have to ask have they been around the wards to see what is happening.. ? What about patients admitted via A and E being placed on totally incorrect wards for their conditions? What about relatives fighting to get them moved to the correct ward because they have not been seen by the correct dr.. ? What about having to fight to get a Dr to see them at the weekend because insufficient and only House Officers available? What about fantastic but insufficient Nursing staff who are run ragged? What about insufficient single rooms when they are necessary? I don't think these requests are too much to ask so I suggest rather than be smug , before they do anything else they speak to some of the relatives about their concerns
I have to ask have they been around the wards to see what is happening.. ? What about patients admitted via A and E being placed on totally incorrect wards for their conditions? What about relatives fighting to get them moved to the correct ward because they have not been seen by the correct dr.. ? What about having to fight to get a Dr to see them at the weekend because insufficient and only House Officers available? What about fantastic but insufficient Nursing staff who are run ragged? What about insufficient single rooms when they are necessary? I don't think these requests are too much to ask so I suggest rather than be smug , before they do anything else they speak to some of the relatives about their concerns kateash
  • Score: 11

4:38pm Mon 7 Apr 14

kapalski says...

kateash wrote:
I have to ask have they been around the wards to see what is happening.. ? What about patients admitted via A and E being placed on totally incorrect wards for their conditions? What about relatives fighting to get them moved to the correct ward because they have not been seen by the correct dr.. ? What about having to fight to get a Dr to see them at the weekend because insufficient and only House Officers available? What about fantastic but insufficient Nursing staff who are run ragged? What about insufficient single rooms when they are necessary? I don't think these requests are too much to ask so I suggest rather than be smug , before they do anything else they speak to some of the relatives about their concerns
Well said kateash, and I have first hand experience of that!!
[quote][p][bold]kateash[/bold] wrote: I have to ask have they been around the wards to see what is happening.. ? What about patients admitted via A and E being placed on totally incorrect wards for their conditions? What about relatives fighting to get them moved to the correct ward because they have not been seen by the correct dr.. ? What about having to fight to get a Dr to see them at the weekend because insufficient and only House Officers available? What about fantastic but insufficient Nursing staff who are run ragged? What about insufficient single rooms when they are necessary? I don't think these requests are too much to ask so I suggest rather than be smug , before they do anything else they speak to some of the relatives about their concerns[/p][/quote]Well said kateash, and I have first hand experience of that!! kapalski
  • Score: 9

5:01pm Mon 7 Apr 14

ConcernedOssy says...

Same Old cr*p
Same Old cr*p ConcernedOssy
  • Score: 9

7:31pm Mon 7 Apr 14

Openminded? says...

The guy has made some massive improvements to the Trust since joining, lets give him a chance, with the upcoming CQC inspection, we will see how well he got on!

Lets not shoot him down just yet, the previous one was a idiot.
The guy has made some massive improvements to the Trust since joining, lets give him a chance, with the upcoming CQC inspection, we will see how well he got on! Lets not shoot him down just yet, the previous one was a idiot. Openminded?
  • Score: -4

8:09pm Mon 7 Apr 14

mavrick says...

I am afraid I still have no confidence in the hospital at Blackburn. If they have managed to recruit staff that means they either have had a cash injection or they have cut elsewhere. If they can recruit now I have to ask why were so many long serving staff forced from their jobs on the pretext of saving money? This happens every time a Tory government is elected. They attack and underfund every public service we have. This time they have gone after the NHS with all guns blazing. Now they are reaping the effect of their misrule. History repeating it's self again.
I am afraid I still have no confidence in the hospital at Blackburn. If they have managed to recruit staff that means they either have had a cash injection or they have cut elsewhere. If they can recruit now I have to ask why were so many long serving staff forced from their jobs on the pretext of saving money? This happens every time a Tory government is elected. They attack and underfund every public service we have. This time they have gone after the NHS with all guns blazing. Now they are reaping the effect of their misrule. History repeating it's self again. mavrick
  • Score: 4

8:20pm Mon 7 Apr 14

kapalski says...

Openminded? wrote:
The guy has made some massive improvements to the Trust since joining, lets give him a chance, with the upcoming CQC inspection, we will see how well he got on!

Lets not shoot him down just yet, the previous one was a idiot.
Care to name them? As employing lots of nurses from over sea is not one of them!
[quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: The guy has made some massive improvements to the Trust since joining, lets give him a chance, with the upcoming CQC inspection, we will see how well he got on! Lets not shoot him down just yet, the previous one was a idiot.[/p][/quote]Care to name them? As employing lots of nurses from over sea is not one of them! kapalski
  • Score: 6

8:52pm Mon 7 Apr 14

Openminded? says...

kapalski wrote:
Openminded? wrote:
The guy has made some massive improvements to the Trust since joining, lets give him a chance, with the upcoming CQC inspection, we will see how well he got on!

Lets not shoot him down just yet, the previous one was a idiot.
Care to name them? As employing lots of nurses from over sea is not one of them!
Hospitals cant win, shortage of nurses, people shout employ nurses, they can't employ nurses in this **** country, so they have to employ from abroad, they get nurses in and people shout, we don't want nurses from abroad !

FFS get a grip !
[quote][p][bold]kapalski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: The guy has made some massive improvements to the Trust since joining, lets give him a chance, with the upcoming CQC inspection, we will see how well he got on! Lets not shoot him down just yet, the previous one was a idiot.[/p][/quote]Care to name them? As employing lots of nurses from over sea is not one of them![/p][/quote]Hospitals cant win, shortage of nurses, people shout employ nurses, they can't employ nurses in this **** country, so they have to employ from abroad, they get nurses in and people shout, we don't want nurses from abroad ! FFS get a grip ! Openminded?
  • Score: -1

10:19pm Mon 7 Apr 14

kapalski says...

Openminded? wrote:
kapalski wrote:
Openminded? wrote:
The guy has made some massive improvements to the Trust since joining, lets give him a chance, with the upcoming CQC inspection, we will see how well he got on!

Lets not shoot him down just yet, the previous one was a idiot.
Care to name them? As employing lots of nurses from over sea is not one of them!
Hospitals cant win, shortage of nurses, people shout employ nurses, they can't employ nurses in this **** country, so they have to employ from abroad, they get nurses in and people shout, we don't want nurses from abroad !

FFS get a grip !
Its not just about the nurses though is it! Yeah I agree more nurses are obviously needed but we shouldn't always seek the solution from abroad, this country needs to look after its own first.
[quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kapalski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: The guy has made some massive improvements to the Trust since joining, lets give him a chance, with the upcoming CQC inspection, we will see how well he got on! Lets not shoot him down just yet, the previous one was a idiot.[/p][/quote]Care to name them? As employing lots of nurses from over sea is not one of them![/p][/quote]Hospitals cant win, shortage of nurses, people shout employ nurses, they can't employ nurses in this **** country, so they have to employ from abroad, they get nurses in and people shout, we don't want nurses from abroad ! FFS get a grip ![/p][/quote]Its not just about the nurses though is it! Yeah I agree more nurses are obviously needed but we shouldn't always seek the solution from abroad, this country needs to look after its own first. kapalski
  • Score: 1

12:20am Tue 8 Apr 14

Openminded? says...

kapalski wrote:
Openminded? wrote:
kapalski wrote:
Openminded? wrote:
The guy has made some massive improvements to the Trust since joining, lets give him a chance, with the upcoming CQC inspection, we will see how well he got on!

Lets not shoot him down just yet, the previous one was a idiot.
Care to name them? As employing lots of nurses from over sea is not one of them!
Hospitals cant win, shortage of nurses, people shout employ nurses, they can't employ nurses in this **** country, so they have to employ from abroad, they get nurses in and people shout, we don't want nurses from abroad !

FFS get a grip !
Its not just about the nurses though is it! Yeah I agree more nurses are obviously needed but we shouldn't always seek the solution from abroad, this country needs to look after its own first.
You right, this country needs to look after itself, but when hospitals are under pressure to have enough nurses, and the hospital cannot get them from this country, what do you expect them to do?
[quote][p][bold]kapalski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]kapalski[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Openminded?[/bold] wrote: The guy has made some massive improvements to the Trust since joining, lets give him a chance, with the upcoming CQC inspection, we will see how well he got on! Lets not shoot him down just yet, the previous one was a idiot.[/p][/quote]Care to name them? As employing lots of nurses from over sea is not one of them![/p][/quote]Hospitals cant win, shortage of nurses, people shout employ nurses, they can't employ nurses in this **** country, so they have to employ from abroad, they get nurses in and people shout, we don't want nurses from abroad ! FFS get a grip ![/p][/quote]Its not just about the nurses though is it! Yeah I agree more nurses are obviously needed but we shouldn't always seek the solution from abroad, this country needs to look after its own first.[/p][/quote]You right, this country needs to look after itself, but when hospitals are under pressure to have enough nurses, and the hospital cannot get them from this country, what do you expect them to do? Openminded?
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree