Barbaric dog fighting rife in East Lancashire, animal welfare charities warn

The dog dumped after suffering horrific injuries to its neck

The dog dumped after suffering horrific injuries to its neck

First published in East Lancashire
Last updated

BARBARIC dog fighting is ‘going on all the time’ in East Lancashire in an ‘underworld of criminality’, animal welfare charities have warned.

The claims come as a man pleaded guilty to breeding fighting dogs in Accrington after he advertised nine pit bull-type puppies for sale on Facebook.

Vets last week also struggled to save a Staffordshire bull terrier which collapsed in a Nelson surgery after apparently being involved in a fight.

Police have also seized a suspected pit bull-type dog, which has recently had a litter of seven puppies from a property in Chorley.

MORE TOP STORIES:

Officers warned that although the puppies, which have been distributed to new owners, may look ‘cute and cuddly’ now, they could grow up to be extremely dangerous dogs.

Animal charities have condemned the use of dogs for fighting, branding it ‘horrific’.

Paula Knowles, from Pendle Dogs in Need, said: “There are organised dog fights going on in this area and dogs are being used as bait dogs. It is barbaric but it is happening on our doorstep.

“People are taking dogs from back yards, or from lampposts outside shops, and are using them to train up fighting dogs.

“It is horrific to think about but it is happening in East Lancashire and we need people to be aware of it.”

Steve Wood, founder of Hyndburn Stray Dogs in Need, said: “The people who do this are real, real scum. They have no regard for animal welfare and they just let their dogs fight for the enjoyment they get.

“It is not that it has become more and more common in East Lancashire, it is going on all the time and it is well-organised.

“These dogs are lethal weapons and are more dangerous than a gun because they do not need aim, they just attack.

“Nobody is prepared to give the police information because it is an underworld and criminality is involved.”

The extent of the issue was highlighted by Mr Wood following the sentence of 28-year-old Krzysztof Bulawa.

Blackburn Magistrates’ Court heard how he offered pit bull-type puppies for sale through an advert on Facebook.

The advert was blocked within an hour of it appearing, but by the time police executed a search warrant at Bulawa’s Accrington home, all nine puppies had gone.

The mother was still in the house as was the defendant’s new born baby.

Bulawa, of Devonshire Street, pleaded guilty to possessing a fighting dog, advertising fighting dogs for sale and breeding fighting dogs. He was made subject to a weekend curfew between 9pm and 5am on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for 12 weeks and ordered to pay £145 costs.

The magistrates made an order for the destruction of the dog, although Bulawa had already signed a disclaimer which would have given the police the authority to have the dog destroyed.

Scott Parker, defending, said his client had initially been unaware the type of dog he had taken in and there was no suggestion the dog had ever been involved in any incidents.

Speaking after the case Bulawa said: “It is unfair. My dog did nothing.

“Now I have to wear a tag and they say my dog is dangerous and I am dangerous. It was never used for fighting and it never hurt anybody.”

Vets in Nelson were shocked when a female Staffordshire bull terrier was found dumped in the back yard of a house in Chapel House Street, Nelson.

The dog was taken to Stanley House Vets, but collapsed in the surgery due to her loss of blood.

She was kept at the surgery for two days to recover from shock before undergoing an operation on her leg. She is now being cared for by Pendle Dogs in Need.

Mrs Knowles, from the charity, said: “When the dog was found she was covered in blood, with a bad leg injury and several bite marks.

“It is absolutely heart breaking to see this happening, but people need to be aware of it.”

Police in Chorley said they seized a suspected Pit Bull terrier dog from a property in Corporation Street under the Dangerous Dogs Act. The dog has since been confirmed as a pit bull-type.

The dog had recently had a litter of seven pups which are thought to be around six-weeks-old.

They have all been passed onto other people.

Police and Chorley Council have since traced two of the puppies, but community beat manager PC Debs Collier said they were keen to trace the remaining five.

She said: “Although these dogs are just six-weeks-old and look cute and cuddly, they will grow into extremely dangerous dogs with the potential to cause serious injury.

“It is important we find these dogs before anybody is hurt. I would not want it on anybody’s conscience if they knew where one of these dogs was and it went on to cause harm.”

Former dog warden Mr Wood said he believed the solution to the problem of dog fighting was licences.

He said: “We have got to get rid of all the stupid legislation about dogs being dangerous.

“Anybody who owns a dog must have a licence and to obtain that licence, you must show you are capable of looking after the dog.

“Each dog should have a separate licence and they should have to pass an aggression test. If it fails, it gets put down.”

Chief Insp Justin Srivastava said: “If anybody has information about fighting dogs, we would encourage them to call the police.”

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:56am Mon 17 Mar 14

Darren1951 says...

Gordon Street, in Darwen, might be a good place to start looking. If I'm right, though, they probably have enough sense not to pursue their loathsome activities on their own doorstep.
Gordon Street, in Darwen, might be a good place to start looking. If I'm right, though, they probably have enough sense not to pursue their loathsome activities on their own doorstep. Darren1951
  • Score: 15

11:25am Mon 17 Mar 14

George Khan says...

Salaam putters, more disturbing news about kuttas, I mean dogs
It seems that they have been groomed to become gladiators
To kill or be killed or just bite people out of canine spite
It’s time to rid our town of these little brutes and their owners
And seclude them in some drab place out of sight
Salaam putters, more disturbing news about kuttas, I mean dogs It seems that they have been groomed to become gladiators To kill or be killed or just bite people out of canine spite It’s time to rid our town of these little brutes and their owners And seclude them in some drab place out of sight George Khan
  • Score: -20

11:50am Mon 17 Mar 14

poosheep says...

George Khan wrote:
Salaam putters, more disturbing news about kuttas, I mean dogs It seems that they have been groomed to become gladiators To kill or be killed or just bite people out of canine spite It’s time to rid our town of these little brutes and their owners And seclude them in some drab place out of sight
Groomed to become gladiators... therefore it IS NOT the dog or the breed - it's the irresponsible owners, shall we rid the place of these humans instead???
And before you answer that with a stereotypical answer of let's rid our streets of the chavs that breed these brutes, I live in the Middle East and this is one of the worst places for local arabs breeding dogs for fighting... are they brutes too?
Dogs do as they are taught to do, by humans. They also react to a situation when theatened by humans, or out of fright and defence of their owner or pack leader. Dogs do not have the cerbral capacity to act out of spite - it is an emotion felt only by humans. Perhaps do a little research on canine behaviour and psychology before posting venomous comments?
[quote][p][bold]George Khan[/bold] wrote: Salaam putters, more disturbing news about kuttas, I mean dogs It seems that they have been groomed to become gladiators To kill or be killed or just bite people out of canine spite It’s time to rid our town of these little brutes and their owners And seclude them in some drab place out of sight[/p][/quote]Groomed to become gladiators... therefore it IS NOT the dog or the breed - it's the irresponsible owners, shall we rid the place of these humans instead??? And before you answer that with a stereotypical answer of let's rid our streets of the chavs that breed these brutes, I live in the Middle East and this is one of the worst places for local arabs breeding dogs for fighting... are they brutes too? Dogs do as they are taught to do, by humans. They also react to a situation when theatened by humans, or out of fright and defence of their owner or pack leader. Dogs do not have the cerbral capacity to act out of spite - it is an emotion felt only by humans. Perhaps do a little research on canine behaviour and psychology before posting venomous comments? poosheep
  • Score: 40

12:39pm Mon 17 Mar 14

George Khan says...

Sheep you live up to your name
These kuttas, I mean dogs, have an in-built natural aggression
Unlike humans that are either strong or lame
And their behaviour is erratic, they don’t need provocation
I could mention many a tragic case and that poor postman
It’s this primal instinct that is groomed by idiot owners
That is unleashed by a frisky little brute on the population
And they foul left right and centre not just in street corners
As for those Arabs, they’re just as bad as the chav denomination
Mr sheepdog psychologist, what about your cerebral capacity?
You seem to bah…bah bleat spitefully with no inhibition
You’re just the same as dog sh1te but a bit more woolly
Sheep you live up to your name These kuttas, I mean dogs, have an in-built natural aggression Unlike humans that are either strong or lame And their behaviour is erratic, they don’t need provocation I could mention many a tragic case and that poor postman It’s this primal instinct that is groomed by idiot owners That is unleashed by a frisky little brute on the population And they foul left right and centre not just in street corners As for those Arabs, they’re just as bad as the chav denomination Mr sheepdog psychologist, what about your cerebral capacity? You seem to bah…bah bleat spitefully with no inhibition You’re just the same as dog sh1te but a bit more woolly George Khan
  • Score: -41

1:04pm Mon 17 Mar 14

andy1 says...

Its not the breed its the people who have them. Not long back Dobermans, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Boxers etc had bad publicity now its Pit Bulls and a few other breeds. More people are bit by the likes of Yorkshire Terriers years ago I saw an elderly lady's face bit to shreds by one of these not nice. In fact a vet got the Police out to shoot him because he couldnt get any where near this dog that had turned. PC Debs Collier you and others have been brain washed into believing all Pit Bulls are killers. Catch the dog fighters lock them up with the dogs they train to fight it will soon stop.
Its not the breed its the people who have them. Not long back Dobermans, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Boxers etc had bad publicity now its Pit Bulls and a few other breeds. More people are bit by the likes of Yorkshire Terriers years ago I saw an elderly lady's face bit to shreds by one of these not nice. In fact a vet got the Police out to shoot him because he couldnt get any where near this dog that had turned. PC Debs Collier you and others have been brain washed into believing all Pit Bulls are killers. Catch the dog fighters lock them up with the dogs they train to fight it will soon stop. andy1
  • Score: 31

1:23pm Mon 17 Mar 14

phil kernot says...

It always retarded owners doing this no empathy sick people in the head ( one of those me and my hard dog , doe brain dead )
It always retarded owners doing this no empathy sick people in the head ( one of those me and my hard dog , doe brain dead ) phil kernot
  • Score: 25

1:56pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Loving lances says...

Last week the LT asked if Lancashire was the best county in England. It should have asked if this is the most stupid county!
Last week the LT asked if Lancashire was the best county in England. It should have asked if this is the most stupid county! Loving lances
  • Score: 10

2:16pm Mon 17 Mar 14

noddy57 says...

what has civilised society come to?, these scum bags who breed and train these poor animals to fight are low life specimens who really do need to try it them selves if they want gratification , and see how long they last in the sawdust pit,we need a strong deterrent for these dog owners, 10 years minimum if caught would be a start,
what has civilised society come to?, these scum bags who breed and train these poor animals to fight are low life specimens who really do need to try it them selves if they want gratification , and see how long they last in the sawdust pit,we need a strong deterrent for these dog owners, 10 years minimum if caught would be a start, noddy57
  • Score: 35

3:55pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Ian123xyz says...

What loathsome scum these people are. Unfortunately some will have contributed to the gene pool. Little wonder that human progress sometimes seems to move at a snail's pace.
What loathsome scum these people are. Unfortunately some will have contributed to the gene pool. Little wonder that human progress sometimes seems to move at a snail's pace. Ian123xyz
  • Score: 21

6:14pm Mon 17 Mar 14

ROBERTSLUMDWELLER123 says...

phil kernot wrote:
It always retarded owners doing this no empathy sick people in the head ( one of those me and my hard dog , doe brain dead )
I have a Rottweiler that I ought from a respectable breeder and you could,'nt wish for a lovelier dog of course he could turn as could any dog.there is so much interbreeding going on in this country now and cross breeding its getting crazy.i was in Holland a few weeks ago and saw lts of pitbulls/and proper staffs not the huge nasty growling beasts we see on our streets every staff want to rip you to pieces and you dog if you have one
[quote][p][bold]phil kernot[/bold] wrote: It always retarded owners doing this no empathy sick people in the head ( one of those me and my hard dog , doe brain dead )[/p][/quote]I have a Rottweiler that I ought from a respectable breeder and you could,'nt wish for a lovelier dog of course he could turn as could any dog.there is so much interbreeding going on in this country now and cross breeding its getting crazy.i was in Holland a few weeks ago and saw lts of pitbulls/and proper staffs not the huge nasty growling beasts we see on our streets every staff want to rip you to pieces and you dog if you have one ROBERTSLUMDWELLER123
  • Score: 1

7:11pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Pat Howarth says...

The 3 most notorious biters are Dachshunds, Chihuahuas and Jack Russells in that order.... Pit bulls are way way down the list . We don't hear much about these little dogs biting because they don't make good reading when compared to Pit Bulls, Akitas, Rottweilers, Dogue De Bordeaux etc., There are some 'humans' who get a kick out of pitting their dog against another to see which is the best....at what ? At tearing another dog apart...and making a mess of itself in the process. These scum bags are cowards who should be put in a pit with one of these dogs...but one trained to attack humans...see the big man then :-)))) These dogs are badly hurt and not taken to the vets. They might be patched up by the owner...or they just might be abandoned to die a slow death.....like the poor staffie seen here.....used as a bait dog and then thrown away...like so much rubbish. Well the rubbish is the person who allowed and encouraged this lovely girl to be attacked by his dog....to train him/her up for better things. These people aren't fit to walk the same streets as these poor dogs....they are the lowest of the low. When they are caught, the minimum sentence should be 10 yrs without a chance of an early release. And make sure that they serve their sentence amongst dog/cat/animal lovers.....then they'll learn what it feels like to be a fighting dog. They should be banned from any contact with any animal for life....and they should be on a list that everyone can see so we can all keep our eye on these morons....so they never go near another animal. If that infringes their 'human rights' then so be it, because , these are not humans and deserve no rights....they are sub human scum and I despise them for the pain and suffering they put these beautiful, loyal, feeling dogs through for their sick kicks.....and then there's the money the dog will earn for them when they bet on the winner of the fight....but none of that money will pay a vet to care for the badly hurt dog....because how does this evil monster explain to the vet where these wounds came from???? If you know someone's fighting their dogs or has ANYTHING to do with dog fighting....tell the police, report them to the rspca , get in touch with The League Against Cruel Sports....together they will do something and dogs will be safe ..... and you'll feel so good . Be aware....tell someone....
The 3 most notorious biters are Dachshunds, Chihuahuas and Jack Russells in that order.... Pit bulls are way way down the list . We don't hear much about these little dogs biting because they don't make good reading when compared to Pit Bulls, Akitas, Rottweilers, Dogue De Bordeaux etc., There are some 'humans' who get a kick out of pitting their dog against another to see which is the best....at what ? At tearing another dog apart...and making a mess of itself in the process. These scum bags are cowards who should be put in a pit with one of these dogs...but one trained to attack humans...see the big man then :-)))) These dogs are badly hurt and not taken to the vets. They might be patched up by the owner...or they just might be abandoned to die a slow death.....like the poor staffie seen here.....used as a bait dog and then thrown away...like so much rubbish. Well the rubbish is the person who allowed and encouraged this lovely girl to be attacked by his dog....to train him/her up for better things. These people aren't fit to walk the same streets as these poor dogs....they are the lowest of the low. When they are caught, the minimum sentence should be 10 yrs without a chance of an early release. And make sure that they serve their sentence amongst dog/cat/animal lovers.....then they'll learn what it feels like to be a fighting dog. They should be banned from any contact with any animal for life....and they should be on a list that everyone can see so we can all keep our eye on these morons....so they never go near another animal. If that infringes their 'human rights' then so be it, because , these are not humans and deserve no rights....they are sub human scum and I despise them for the pain and suffering they put these beautiful, loyal, feeling dogs through for their sick kicks.....and then there's the money the dog will earn for them when they bet on the winner of the fight....but none of that money will pay a vet to care for the badly hurt dog....because how does this evil monster explain to the vet where these wounds came from???? If you know someone's fighting their dogs or has ANYTHING to do with dog fighting....tell the police, report them to the rspca , get in touch with The League Against Cruel Sports....together they will do something and dogs will be safe ..... and you'll feel so good . Be aware....tell someone.... Pat Howarth
  • Score: 22

7:15pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Pat Howarth says...

DARREN YOU'VE MADE A START...REPORT THIS TO THE POLICE AND THEY'LL TAKE IT FROM THERE.....PEOPLE WILL BE WATCHED AND SOMETHING WILL BE DONE.....we made it work with another type of cruelty to animals.....and even though it takes time, it's worth the wait.
DARREN YOU'VE MADE A START...REPORT THIS TO THE POLICE AND THEY'LL TAKE IT FROM THERE.....PEOPLE WILL BE WATCHED AND SOMETHING WILL BE DONE.....we made it work with another type of cruelty to animals.....and even though it takes time, it's worth the wait. Pat Howarth
  • Score: 13

7:30pm Mon 17 Mar 14

Darren1951 says...

Pat Howarth wrote:
DARREN YOU'VE MADE A START...REPORT THIS TO THE POLICE AND THEY'LL TAKE IT FROM THERE.....PEOPLE WILL BE WATCHED AND SOMETHING WILL BE DONE.....we made it work with another type of cruelty to animals.....and even though it takes time, it's worth the wait.
I DID report it, in a casual meeting with the police, a few years ago, and they already had the family concerned on their radar, but I don't know, or haven't heard, anything further about the people since then.
You mention one or two breeds and, correct me if I'm wrong, but they may well be "notorious" biters, but we don't often hear about people being "savaged", or kids being ripped to bits by these types of dogs, nor are they the types that are usually bred and/or trained for dog-fighting unless, again, you know different.
[quote][p][bold]Pat Howarth[/bold] wrote: DARREN YOU'VE MADE A START...REPORT THIS TO THE POLICE AND THEY'LL TAKE IT FROM THERE.....PEOPLE WILL BE WATCHED AND SOMETHING WILL BE DONE.....we made it work with another type of cruelty to animals.....and even though it takes time, it's worth the wait.[/p][/quote]I DID report it, in a casual meeting with the police, a few years ago, and they already had the family concerned on their radar, but I don't know, or haven't heard, anything further about the people since then. You mention one or two breeds and, correct me if I'm wrong, but they may well be "notorious" biters, but we don't often hear about people being "savaged", or kids being ripped to bits by these types of dogs, nor are they the types that are usually bred and/or trained for dog-fighting unless, again, you know different. Darren1951
  • Score: 5

1:03pm Tue 18 Mar 14

kingbilly says...

with comments like that mr wood,you should be put down,and ill do the injection
with comments like that mr wood,you should be put down,and ill do the injection kingbilly
  • Score: 2

3:12pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Pat Howarth says...

But Darren, I know at least 3 children with scarred faces because of these small dogs...and no , as I said, just a bite from a little dog doesn't sell papers...what I was trying to say was all dogs can bite....as long as they have teeth...and it's not just the dogs we see in the paper all the time.
Robertslumdweller 123....what's a 'proper staffi?' You're wrong about 'every staffie wanting to tear you and your dog to bits'...they are just the opposite.
You must know some strange dogs and no doubt they are owned by strange folks if this is what they do.
I bred rotties 30 plus yrs ago and they were a much steadier dog than today's rotties because the back yard 'breeders' turning these breeds out for cash just don't consider temperament and good health...or even what dogs are in the pedigrees. When I had rotties they were temperament tested...not now!!!
What do you mean by 'interbreeding' and 'crossbreeding' ? To me crossbreeding means breeding mongrels. Interbreeding means nothing.
The only reason we have all these problems with dogs is because stupid people turn puppies out for money and they know nothing about dogs.....The dogs in the right hands are fine.....in the wrong hands they can be very dangerous. People are the problem, NOT THE DOGS. There are people on this planet with less between their ears than the dogs they live with. Not intelligent enough to have a dog. The dog always looses out and suffers when they have to live with fools.
But Darren, I know at least 3 children with scarred faces because of these small dogs...and no , as I said, just a bite from a little dog doesn't sell papers...what I was trying to say was all dogs can bite....as long as they have teeth...and it's not just the dogs we see in the paper all the time. Robertslumdweller 123....what's a 'proper staffi?' You're wrong about 'every staffie wanting to tear you and your dog to bits'...they are just the opposite. You must know some strange dogs and no doubt they are owned by strange folks if this is what they do. I bred rotties 30 plus yrs ago and they were a much steadier dog than today's rotties because the back yard 'breeders' turning these breeds out for cash just don't consider temperament and good health...or even what dogs are in the pedigrees. When I had rotties they were temperament tested...not now!!! What do you mean by 'interbreeding' and 'crossbreeding' ? To me crossbreeding means breeding mongrels. Interbreeding means nothing. The only reason we have all these problems with dogs is because stupid people turn puppies out for money and they know nothing about dogs.....The dogs in the right hands are fine.....in the wrong hands they can be very dangerous. People are the problem, NOT THE DOGS. There are people on this planet with less between their ears than the dogs they live with. Not intelligent enough to have a dog. The dog always looses out and suffers when they have to live with fools. Pat Howarth
  • Score: 3

6:55pm Wed 19 Mar 14

Ayecurrumba says...

Darren did you not read the news when a baby was killed by Jack Russell and one nearly had it's leg ripped off by a Collie? Collies by the way are responsible for a lot of bites that need hospital attention ! Then there are Police dogs. The Police have had to pay out millions in compensation over a few short years when one of their highly trained dogs has bitten the wrong person! These supposed 'extremely dangerous dogs' are actually pussycats in the right hands. The Police woman has been chastised 2500+ times over on the Chorley Police facebook page! The only dangerous thing about a dangerous dog is its owner. Either because they are mentally inadequate bullies, at one end of the scale, or because at the other end they are completely ignorant on how to bring a dog up properly. Apart from health issues the only reason a dog will attack is if a human has done something to create a bad mentality or situation or for it.
Darren did you not read the news when a baby was killed by Jack Russell and one nearly had it's leg ripped off by a Collie? Collies by the way are responsible for a lot of bites that need hospital attention ! Then there are Police dogs. The Police have had to pay out millions in compensation over a few short years when one of their highly trained dogs has bitten the wrong person! These supposed 'extremely dangerous dogs' are actually pussycats in the right hands. The Police woman has been chastised 2500+ times over on the Chorley Police facebook page! The only dangerous thing about a dangerous dog is its owner. Either because they are mentally inadequate bullies, at one end of the scale, or because at the other end they are completely ignorant on how to bring a dog up properly. Apart from health issues the only reason a dog will attack is if a human has done something to create a bad mentality or situation or for it. Ayecurrumba
  • Score: 2

7:14pm Wed 19 Mar 14

Ayecurrumba says...

By the way, this is sensationalist journalism yet again (albeit on a small scale). When will journalists get back to researching the real stories rather than what they think will grab headlines or what they are fed by those trying to ensure they get the media attention they specifically want? The Chorley Guardian had the guts to look at the furore that took off on the Chorley Police facebook page regarding the moronically ignorant comment made by PC Debs Collier and her 'extremely dangerous' statement relating to 6wk old puppies !!! If we are going to go down the line of eugenics, like Hitler did, then perhaps we should start by practising it on the humans who don't have 2 brain cells to rub together. Sadly at present that seems to apply to certain members of the Police force, reporters, politicians and those who believe that black is white because someone on television said so !! Breed specific legislation is wrong in so many ways and is so appalling it would be laughable if innocent family pets weren't being seized and killed for no reason other than measurements on a tape measure. Puppies as young as 5wks have been slaughtered by the Police after they deliberately mislead the owners in order to be able to get their quote of harmless suckling pups off the streets. There is a huge abuse of power going on with dog wardens and the Police (and reporters) condoning the killings because they think it makes them look good. I would like to see every one of the people who try and justify this immoral legislation, go down to a vets and watch a litter of puppies play happily and then hold them, 1 by 1, while a vet takes their lives because someone says it 'MIGHT' be dangerous one day. Then, with any luck, they may rethink their stance.
By the way, this is sensationalist journalism yet again (albeit on a small scale). When will journalists get back to researching the real stories rather than what they think will grab headlines or what they are fed by those trying to ensure they get the media attention they specifically want? The Chorley Guardian had the guts to look at the furore that took off on the Chorley Police facebook page regarding the moronically ignorant comment made by PC Debs Collier and her 'extremely dangerous' statement relating to 6wk old puppies !!! If we are going to go down the line of eugenics, like Hitler did, then perhaps we should start by practising it on the humans who don't have 2 brain cells to rub together. Sadly at present that seems to apply to certain members of the Police force, reporters, politicians and those who believe that black is white because someone on television said so !! Breed specific legislation is wrong in so many ways and is so appalling it would be laughable if innocent family pets weren't being seized and killed for no reason other than measurements on a tape measure. Puppies as young as 5wks have been slaughtered by the Police after they deliberately mislead the owners in order to be able to get their quote of harmless suckling pups off the streets. There is a huge abuse of power going on with dog wardens and the Police (and reporters) condoning the killings because they think it makes them look good. I would like to see every one of the people who try and justify this immoral legislation, go down to a vets and watch a litter of puppies play happily and then hold them, 1 by 1, while a vet takes their lives because someone says it 'MIGHT' be dangerous one day. Then, with any luck, they may rethink their stance. Ayecurrumba
  • Score: 1

8:58pm Wed 19 Mar 14

thomsony says...

THIS SCUM BULAKARA,WHATEVER HE IS CALLED SHOULD BE DEPORTED! NO HESITATION, NO EXCUSES, NO NOTHING JUST DEPORT HIM AND ALL OF HIS HANGERS ON!!!!
THIS SCUM BULAKARA,WHATEVER HE IS CALLED SHOULD BE DEPORTED! NO HESITATION, NO EXCUSES, NO NOTHING JUST DEPORT HIM AND ALL OF HIS HANGERS ON!!!! thomsony
  • Score: 2

9:14pm Wed 19 Mar 14

thomsony says...

DEPORT BULAWA NOW! NO HESITATION JUST GET THE SCUM AND ALL OF HIS HANGERS ON OUT OF OUR STILL HOPEFULLY DESCENT COUNTRY!!! GET HIM OUT AND ANY SUCH LIKE AS HIM! IF HE TREATS ANIMALS LIKE THIS - WHAT WOULD IT DO WITH CHILDREN & THE ELDERLY, IT QUITE OBVIOUSLY PREYS ON THE INOCENT THAT CANNOT FIGHT BACK !
DEPORT BULAWA NOW! NO HESITATION JUST GET THE SCUM AND ALL OF HIS HANGERS ON OUT OF OUR STILL HOPEFULLY DESCENT COUNTRY!!! GET HIM OUT AND ANY SUCH LIKE AS HIM! IF HE TREATS ANIMALS LIKE THIS - WHAT WOULD IT DO WITH CHILDREN & THE ELDERLY, IT QUITE OBVIOUSLY PREYS ON THE INOCENT THAT CANNOT FIGHT BACK ! thomsony
  • Score: 2

11:27am Thu 20 Mar 14

RealisticRaccoon says...

I'm a person with a particular breed of dog that has come under the potlight recently due to poor owners, back yard breeders and the people who buy themas a status symbol. My dog is not a banned breed. Can you tell what it is?

Anyway, my point is this: It's common sense which prevails when it comes to dog ownership. The amount of posts I've seen along the lines of "My dog snarls at my toddler when she goes near him when he has his bone." or "My dog went to bite me when I smacked him for pooping on the carpet.".
People should HAVE to sit a basic exam and training course before owning a dog and it should be mandatory to have them into obedience and socialisation classes. If you can't afford it then you can't have a dog, simple as that.

Now, what could be done to curb backyard breeding I don't know, but this is where the majority of the instability comes from. Breeding willy nilly anything to make a quick quid, without any regard for temperament or health, often inbreeding for specific characteristics. There is a database with supposed "Pitbull" pedigrees free to look at online. You'll see all you need to im regards to that online.

As for it's how you bring them up, I agree, somewhat. Yet when you come to actually think of how these so called fighting dogs have been bred one does have to wonder. Generation upon generation of inbreeding and mental instability DOES sometimes pass on. Sorry, but that is fact.
I'm a person with a particular breed of dog that has come under the potlight recently due to poor owners, back yard breeders and the people who buy themas a status symbol. My dog is not a banned breed. Can you tell what it is? Anyway, my point is this: It's common sense which prevails when it comes to dog ownership. The amount of posts I've seen along the lines of "My dog snarls at my toddler when she goes near him when he has his bone." or "My dog went to bite me when I smacked him for pooping on the carpet.". People should HAVE to sit a basic exam and training course before owning a dog and it should be mandatory to have them into obedience and socialisation classes. If you can't afford it then you can't have a dog, simple as that. Now, what could be done to curb backyard breeding I don't know, but this is where the majority of the instability comes from. Breeding willy nilly anything to make a quick quid, without any regard for temperament or health, often inbreeding for specific characteristics. There is a database with supposed "Pitbull" pedigrees free to look at online. You'll see all you need to im regards to that online. As for it's how you bring them up, I agree, somewhat. Yet when you come to actually think of how these so called fighting dogs have been bred one does have to wonder. Generation upon generation of inbreeding and mental instability DOES sometimes pass on. Sorry, but that is fact. RealisticRaccoon
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree