Chip pan sparks Coppull house blaze

First published in Coppull

Two men were taken to hospital after a house fire in Coppull last night.

"The fire service were called to a chip pan fire at a property on Mavis Drive at 11.10pm.

Watch manager Neil Taylor, from Chorley Fire station, said: "When we arrived two males, aged 27 and 73 were outside the property and suffering from smoke inhalation.

We immediately provided oxygen to them whilst assessing the extent of the fire.

"The younger male had tried to extinguish the blaze using a coat to smother the pan, and an extinguisher to put out the fire which had spread to the kitchen units and ceiling."

The house sustained fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the remainder of the property.

The two casualties were taken to Chorley hospital for assessment.

Officer Harris added: "No smoke alarms were fitted in the property, they only discovered the fire by luck, if left undiscovered this fire could have been far more serious.

"We stress that people shouldn't attempt to tackle fires themselves. If possible turn the cooker ring off, shut the door and get out immediately, then call the fire service.

"If possible replace chip pans with deep fat fryers."

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree