Drug user died of anthrax

First published in Chorley

Drug users in East Lancashire are being warned about anthrax-laced heroin after a man died.

The NHS said heroin, or a contaminated cutting agent mixed with it, was the likely source of infection which killed the Blackpool man.

Anthrax is an acute bacterial infection most commonly found in hoofed animals such as cattle, sheep and goats It normally infects humans when they inhale or ingest anthrax spores and can be treated if identified early enough.

There have been seven confirmed cases of the infection since June – one in Scotland, three in Germany, two in Denmark, and one in France.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree