Tributes have been paid to a 16-year-old who died after he fell from a bridge on to a motorway.

Aaron Cook, of Keepers Wood Way, Chorley, died on the M6 at Leyland on Saturday night.

A man was later arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and failing to notify police of an accident.

Aaron, a former Parklands High School student, had ambitions to become a nursery teacher and was studying childcare at Runshaw College.

He was described by his former headteacher at Parklands, Claire Hollister as ‘sensitive, caring and supportive of others’.

A statement from his family said: “Aaron wanted to be a nursery teacher.

“He loved spending time with his friends and family and will be deeply missed.”

The incident happened at around 11.30pm on Saturday, close to junction 28 on the M6 south at Leyland.

Aaron fell around 30 feet into the path of oncoming traffic.

Several cars swerved to avoid the teenager but he was then struck while he lay on the carriageway.

The southbound carriageway was closed for six hours between junctions 27 and 28 for a scene investigation to be carried out.

Hundreds of Aaron’s friends have joined a tribute site to him on Facebook.

Jodie Elizabeth, said: “You know people say things are meant to get easier well this just doesn’t Aaron.

“I wish I could spend one last day with you make it perfect and to tell you I love you again.

“You know you really were a special guy to us all, everyone loved and treasured you.”

Louis Black, said: “RIP Aaron you will be sadly missed and never forgotten.

“Don’t think that you ever imagined how much pain I would be in once you were gone.

“Words cannot express the amount of emotions that have come with trying to let you go.”

A spokesman for Runshaw college, said: “Aarron was one of our trainee apprentices, he will be hugely missed.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this incredibly sad time.”

Since the incidents several floral tributes have been left at the bridge by Aaron’s friends and family.

Sgt Dave Hogarth from Lancashire road policing unit said that investigations were continuing to establish the circumstances of exactly what happened.

After a police appeal to trace the driver a 38-year-old man from Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, was arrested and questioned.