When news happens, text CIT and your photos and videos to 80360. Or contact us by email or phone.
Chorley family evacuated in carbon monoxide scare
9:12am Thursday 21st March 2013 in Chorley
A FAMILY of 10 was evacuated from its home following a suspected carbon monoxide leak.
The mother of the family, of Fir Tree Close in Chorley, alerted the emergency services after getting a severe headache.
Firefirghters cut off the gas supply to the house, anticipating the leak to have emerged from a gas fire which had been on all day.
The two adults and eight children were taken to Chorley and South Ribble Hospital as a precaution.
British Gas were then called to investigate the matter further.
Crew manager Ian Turnbull said: “We urge people to get a carbon monoxide detector, because it cannot be detected by smell, and it can kill.
“The ones we recommend are audible alarms, rather than ones which simply light up, as they are more likely to alert you sooner.”
The fire service attended the incident at 2am on Tuesday.